Virgil Town Hall
of Virgil. The qualitites of our early settlers can still be
seen in the people who live here today. The pioneering
spirit, civic mindedness and friendly hospitality live on in
Virgil residents today. Virgil was established as part of a
Military Tract in Central New York, which granted
Revolutionary War soldiers land as payment for their service to the military.
The Town was named by Alabany officals in honor of the Roman poet, Virgil. The Town was first settled in 1792. Shortly after settlement the town was connected by roads to neihboring communites. Farming and related industires were the main occupation of the early settlers. Farming was the predominant industry in the area, until very recently.
The beauty of our township with its rollong hills and gorgeous views is due to in large part to the local farmers stewardship of the land for over two hundred years.
More information on Virgil's history can be found in the publication titled "As We Were: A Picture History of Virgil." The publication was complied by Virgil's Historical Society in 1979. The publication is availbale for sale at the Virgil Town Hall.
The Virgil Town Hall
1176 Church Street
Virgil, NY 13045
Alane Van Donsel
Virgil Town Clerk